Chickpea Pilaf or Channa pilau is a Pakistani rice dish in which rice cooked with stock and chickpeas. You can use any stock, chicken or vegetable. I like to use chicken powder or chicken cubes. You can use vegetable stock and make it completely vegetarian or vegan.
- Basmati Rice 2 cups
- Onion 1 medium
- Garlic paste 1 tsp
- Tomato 1 big
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Whole cumin seeds 2 tsp
- Fresh small green chilies 2-3
- Chicken powder 2 tbsp
- Chickpeas 1 can (400 g)
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pan, add in oil then chopped onion, stir for 2,3 minutes until translucent.
- Now add garlic paste and chopped tomato, stir until tomato is nicely cooked and soft.
- Add in red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, chickpeas, green chilies, again stir few seconds.
- Now add 3 cups of water and chicken powder. Let it boil.
- Take out all the water from soaked rice, add in. Taste salt if you feel its less add some at this point.
- Cook on high heat until all water evaporates.
- Pour 2 tbsp lemon juice on top, turn the heat low and with tight lid on cook for 10 minutes.
- Rice are done, serve them with yogurt raita or tomato chutney.