Beef yakhni pulao is wonderful pulao recipe in which rice cooked in beef stock. On Eid-ul-Adha Pakistani people love to make it with fresh meat and it tastes really good when cooked with fresh meat. You can also make it with lamb/goat meat. I am giving here my mom’s recipe of Beef Yakhni Pulao. This dish is in my childhood memories when She made it sooooooooo good and I can’t stop eating this lovely yakhni pulao with yogurt dip. Here I am trying to make it exactly like her 🙂
1. The trick to get the right taste in this pulao is to take same amount of meat and rice, or add more meat than rice.
Serving = 5
For beef stock list 1
beef with bones meat 500-550 g
onion 1 medium
garlic cloves 4-5
ginger 1 inch piece
whole coriander 1 tbsp
fennel seeds 1 tbsp
basmati rice 2-1/2 cup (almost 500 g)
ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
onion 1 big
salt 2-1/2 tsp or as required
green chilies 3-4 (add more if you like spicy)
yogurt 250 g
white vinegar 1 tbsp
caraway seeds (kala zeera) 1 tsp
cinnamon stick (darchini) 1 small
small cardamom (choti ilaichi) 5-6
cloves (long) 8-9
whole black pepper (9-10)
1. Soak basmati rice for 1/2 hour.
2. Now for beef stock In a pan add all list 1 ingredients.
3.add 2 glasses of water and give it 15 minutes pressure…. if you are cooking it in normal pan add 3 glass water and cook until meat is nicely tender.
4. meat is nicely tender now. and it has beef stock in it, we gonna use it in our pulao.
5. Take a strainer, strain cooked beef in it, separate beef and stock. shake beef pieces so that there is no fennel seeds and coriander in it.
6. Throw these, and save meat and stock.
7. Take a big pan, add 1/4 cup oi in it with finely sliced onions, cook on medium heat until they are nicely brown.
8. take out onions and set a side, we will use them in end dum.
9. Now in same oil add all list 3 whole garam masala. stir for 5 seconds. do not burn it.
10. add beef with 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and bhonafy it for 1 minute.
11. add yogurt and green chilies and salt. stir for 5-10 seconds.
12. Add 4 cups of beef stock we separate before…if its less than 4 cups use water, let it boil. and use same cup for measuring stock which you use for measuring rice.
13. Add soaked rice. and cook it on high heat until all water evaporates. and try not to stir it too much because then your rice will break.
14. Add fried onion on top we made in beginning and 1 tbsp of white vinegar. vinegar will help rice not to stick together.
15. Now with tight lid on and keep something heavy on it, cook it on very low heat for 10 minutes.
rice are ready.
Beef yakhni pulao is ready. serve it with yogurt dip (raita)