Red Velvet Cake Recipe with buttercream Icing
Red velvet cake is traditionally a red, red-brown, mahogany, maroon, crimson or scarlet colored chocolate layer cake, layered with white cream cheese or buttercream.
It was my daughter’s friends sleepover party so she asked me to make a red velvet cake with buttercream icing. Normally red velvet cake is covered with cream cheese icing but because my daughter doesn’t like that and this cake was for her so I made buttercream to layer the cake.
I made a little amount of buttercream because I didn’t want to make this cake heavy and over sweet. So I layer the cake with very thin layer of buttercream inside and out side. You can double the quantity of buttercream if you are making it for a special occasion and want to decorate it more with buttercream.
After finishing the cake I looked at it and thought why didn’t I make it on Valentine’s day 😀 It is more like a romantic cake. Khair Romantic or for a party it is a nice delicious cake so do try and share your feed backs 🙂
- In this cake recipe I used homemade Buttermilk recipe. But you can also use store bought buttermilk.
- In this recipe I used golden caster sugar but you can use same amount caster sugar.
- Buttercream icing recipe here.
- I used Sugarflair Red Extra for this bright red cake.
- Pain flour 2-1/2 cups
- Coco powder 1/8 cup
- Baking powder 2 tsp
- Baking soda 1 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted butter (spreadable) 1/2 cup softened
- Vegetable oil 1/4 cup
- Golden caster sugar 1-1/2 cup
- Eggs 3
- Vanilla extract 2 tsp
- Buttermilk 1 cup
- White vinegar 2 tsp
- Red food gel colour 1 tsp
Now Layer and decorate the cake