Homity Pie Recipe
Make with wholemeal pastry and filled with potatoes, onion, mushroom and cheese, this tart was originally devised by land girls working on farms during the second World war in Midlands. This is Paul Hollywood’s recipe from his book British baking.
My daughter made this and she made it with a little bit of changing in the recipe. As she wanted the filling a bit spicy and more flavorful. She added garam masala and chili flakes and chicken powder in filling which is giving this pie a really nice flavour.
- Plain flour 100 g
- Wholemeal flour 50 g
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted butter diced 75 g
- Egg yolk 1
- Cold water 1-2 tbsp
- 350 g potatoes
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Onion 2 chopped
- Mushroom 2 chopped
- Garlic and Ginger chopped 1/2 tbsp
- Mature Cheddar Cheese 175 g
- Double cream 3 tbsp
- Salt as required
- Black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chili flakes 1/4 tsp
- Chicken powder 1/2 tsp
- Bread crumbs 3 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese 1 tbsp
- To make the pastry, put the flours, salt and butter in a food processor. Run it until it reaches fine bread crumbs texture. Then add an egg and water run the mixer again until it starts to combine.
- Take it out and with the help of your hands shape it into a ball, cover with clingfilm and keep in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out roll it with some dry flour and place in a 20cm tart pan.
- Freeze it for 15 minutes.
- Now blind bake with baking beans at 180 C for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out and bake without the baking beans for 15-20 minutes or until nicely cook. Brush it with egg white and bake again for 1-2 minutes.
- Take out and set aside.
- Now for the filling, peel and cut potatoes in small cubes, boil them until tender. Sieve and set a side.
- Now for the filling, in a pan add oil and butter then chopped onion, mushroom, ginger, garlic. Stir until onions are translucent and mushroom is tender. Take out and set a side let it cool.
- Mix well potatoes, onion mushroom mixture, salt, pepper, garam masala powder, chili flakes, chicken powder.
- Add in cheese and double cream.
- Spread the mixture on the baked tart. Press a bit then sprinkle the mixture of breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake again at 180 C for 10-15 minutes or until top is golden.