Mediterranean mezze platter
Last year when I started working in Italian restaurant the very first thing that I loved was their Italian antipasto/mezze board made with different meats, grilled veges, cheese and fresh veges. Colourful and beautiful 🙂 So on my husband’s birthday party I decided to make a big Mediterranean board that is called Mediterranean mezze platter. A Mezze takes the party platter to a whole new level and it’s not hard to put together the perfect Mediterranean mezze platter with dips like hummus or baba ganoush etc along with fresh veggies and other Mediterranean favorites.
How to Build The Perfect Mediterranean Mezze Platter
Putting together the perfect Mezze platter is not complicated at all. Here is a simple guide for you:
1) Remember mezze is for sharing. Think, intimate and plentiful. Find the largest platter you have to display your mezze. I used my kitchen wood board and cover that with silver paper, you can also leave it as it is. Then I place small bowls on it to see where I should put them for dips.
2) Vegetables and fruits are king! True Mediterranean mezze includes plenty of colorful veggies and fruits.I used radish, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, carrots, gem lettuce and grapes. Cut the veges according to your liking, julian, round, star shape etc!!!
3) Creamy spreads are center piece! In the eastern Mediterranean, you will find that mezze always includes dips and spreads. I made 5 different kind of dips Hummus, Baba Ghanous, Spicy Feta Dip, Muhammara, Tzatziki. If you don’t have time, you can use quality store-bought Dips.
4) Flat breads, bread sticks, tortilla chips,crackers, cheese flavored bread sticks,pretzels, spiced and cheese biscuits. I bought them from savory biscuit and bread section of store. Try to buy different textures,shapes and flavors. This will give your board another dimension.
5) Other Mediterranean favorites: cheese feta and mozzarella are best.
6) Last but not the least Flowers!!!!! and this is where you are going to rock your board. Buy any flower bouquet and place the flowers on the board to cover the empty parts. Board will look full and beautiful 🙂
I am sure you like this guideline for building your mezze platter. Remember, there really is no right or wrong way to mezze. Just 1 rule that is sharing !!! 🙂